Light late summer lunch

For the Mushrooms on Toast
3 or 4 chestnut mushrooms
Slice of whole meal toast
Green chilli oil
Chopped clove of garlic
Chopped  fresh ginger (garlic clove size)
Handful chopped parsley
Lime juice
Salt & pepper

For Fruit Salad
4 large strawberries husked and chopped
1 kiwi
Sprigs of young mint and lemon balm, chopped
Greek balsamic vinegar
Ground black pepper
Lime juice

Here is another light lunch I concocted in the unexpected warmth of September and enjoyed sitting outside in the soft sunshine. 

I had some chestnut mushrooms that needed finishing up so I took out four of the best and sliced them up, removing the end of the stalks. I warmed some green chilli oil bought from the charming owners and producers of Casa de l'Oli at the Chatsworth Country Fair in a small frying pan (a saucepan would do just as well) and then added a clove of peeled, chopped garlic. I also added a small amount of peeled and chopped fresh ginger (a piece about the size of the garlic clove). While these were cooking through, I cut a slice of whole meal bread and toasted it. I squeezed about a teaspoonful of fresh lime juice and added it to the mushrooms. When they were cooked through and the flavours absorbed, I turned them out onto the hot toast and topped them with a generous amount of chopped flat-leaved parsley and added a slice of lime for a final spritz. 


For pudding I had some strawberries and kiwi that needed eating up so I chose four large strawberries, husked them and chopped them up and mixed them in a bowl with the peeled and chopped kiwi, some ground black pepper, a squeeze of lime juice, a small dash of light, orangey Greek balsamic vinegar and threw in some freshly picked and chopped lemon balm and mint leaves from the garden. You could add some caster sugar and let the juices marinate into a syrup, but I ate them straight without sugar.


The flavours of both courses were of a cool heat - zingy and fresh on the palate. I felt sated at the end of the meal, but with my taste buds cleansed and thoroughly awakened. Detox for the mouth! It was a great sensation on a warm sunny day - and a healthy one too. 



Comments

Popular Posts